Review: The Fault in our Stars

by Dodo Charles


I can safely assume that it is without much surprise that, with the release of the trailer for The Fault in our Stars by John Green, someone would write about it. It is, after all, considered one of the greatest teenage books of 2013.  

I can also safely say, that right now at this moment, thousands of girls (and guys) are currently crying and ‘feeling the emotions’. I am, indeed, one of the above. And, no, I have no shame. I am a fangirl (although, personally, I hate that term).  

In his novel, John Green successfully captures the reader, albeit with an unconventional protagonist, Hazel Grace Lancaster, and interweaves her cancer story amongst those of others also suffering from other varieties of the disease. The novel appeals to so many, because, unlike in most cancer-related books, the main character is not soppy or dull or without a distinct character. She does not cry often, and, overall, she seems in acceptance with the disease that is coursing through her body. The trailer alone is enough to show that this is going to be conveyed in the film.  

There are not many words that I can use that do justice to this novel, although the trailer itself speaks so highly, as John Green himself worked closely with the production of the film. 

There is not much more I have to say, so I present to you the trailer: 
 

 

Feel the emotions.


I will leave you with this. John Green has stated that, although the book is in no way based on true events, he has pulled ideas from a close relationship of his with a teenager he knew who struggled through cancer and failed. But the similarities are uncanny to those of said teenager.

However, I don’t believe the book is about cancer, more about life and the problems it throws at you, and the human capability to thrive and enjoy life. To me, it does not matter if the book draws on true stories. It has its own story to tell, and John Green succeeds in doing so.

 

Comments