"Weird": Some Misconceptions

by Jack Rockett



I will very happily admit to anybody that I am weird. I like how I am different to every other human being in many ways and it makes me happy that I am different to anyone else in the human race. However, I have noticed that many people who I have met do not understand the proper definition of the word "weird".

The definition of the word ‘weird’ in the Oxford dictionary is: “Very strange, unusual, difficult to understand or explain.” I feel that this defines me and many people that I know very well. I find it difficult to explain myself sometimes and most people do but it just shows us how complex humans are. Because of this, I have no belief in a human that can be categorised as ‘normal’. 

The problem that surrounds this word is that it is constantly considered a derogatory term. People are increasingly using the word “weird” to tell someone that they are a reject to society and that there is something wrong with them that they need to change because their attitude to life is very different to that of the ‘average’ person. People think that because you don't fit into the ‘normal’ stereotypes within human society, you are weird and therefore an outcast and you can’t live a normal life or be friends with them. This shows us how intolerant many members of modern society have become: wanting everyone to be the same, resulting in a society that is monotonous and boring. 

If you say something similar to “that’s so weird” or “you’re really weird” to me, I will treat it as a compliment as I see nothing wrong with being called weird, whereas most people would feel offended. One thing that frustrates me is that I have told people that they are "weird" and they have taken offence to it or looked confused as they have thought that I don't like them because of this. I have never understood this. Don't take offence; take it as a compliment and appreciate that I think that your personality is unique. 

There are many things that I do which creates the connotation of me being ‘weird’ and I will happily express them to anybody. I am a very fussy eater and I hate mincemeat so I can’t eat anything that includes mincemeat. I am British but I hate tea and I feel that, having spent the whole of my childhood living in the UK, this country has failed me and I need to relocate to the opposite side of the word as quickly as possible. I love alternative music but at the same time, I love really bad pop music and I sing to myself when I am sad. Instead of feeling embarrassed about having these characteristics, I have learnt to like the personality that I have as I can’t change it. Over time, I have learnt to think of myself as a positive and unique person because of my "weirdness". 

This misconception of ‘weird’ is something that I feel very strongly about and I think it is the biggest misinterpretation of the English language and the only universal misinterpretation as it has affected the way that many people look at themselves. It has caused people to hate themselves and desperately try to change themselves as they can not easily fit in. I think everyone should accept that they are weird and that every human in the world is weird. I find it very hard to find negativity in being called weird and nobody should ever criticise me or any human being or dislike anyone for being weird, because you can’t. We are all weird and everyone must accept that. 

A small youtuber called BeQuietEllie has the same opinion as me. She takes the word ‘weird’ as a compliment and accepts that we are all strange. Last year, she made a video about this topic:








Comments

  1. Brilliant article! Hopefully it will help and raise awareness to many people

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Embrace your weirdness..." - Cara Delevingne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments with names are more likely to be published.