Harry Potter and the History of the Novel

Mariamne Gordon-Puller, Cicely Podmore, Hope Hopkinson and Tasmin Nandu-Swatton have rewritten the opening of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in the style of Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. In General Studies, they have been learning about the history of the novel and the purpose of this task is to show them how bare eighteenth century novels were in comparison to the rich detail of modern novels.  


To the Honourable
Duchess of Cambridge 


Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone

I who was orphaned in the year 1989 as an infant was left in the care of my ghastly Aunt and Uncle Dursley of Privet Manor in the grand county of Surrey. The Dursleys are not of a noble line, although made up for this with their pompous attitudes and success in the drilling business. Mr Vernon Dursley was betrothed to the vile Petunia, who spawned the wretched Dudley, and there they lived in harmony until my unexpected arrival upon their doorstep. I lived here henceforth unaware of my magical capabilities.


I was the sole heir to James and Lily Potter who tragically met their fate in the great massacre at the wand of He Who Must Not Be Named. After this night I was divorced from the magical realm, however multiple correspondence ensued from the great institution of Hogwarts which reaffirmed my suspicions of my magical grandeur. 

Comments