Interview with Veronica Malka

by Thomas Locke

Veronica Malka
I was fortunate to have a conversation with Veronica Malka, an 18 year old singer-songwriter from Marbella whose debut single Flawless was recently released. We talked about her early beginnings, musical aspirations and her future career in acting and singing with acceptance to the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in Los Angeles and a record deal with GME Universal Records.

When did you first get into singing?

As a child I was always singing and performing for family members, but my first official performance was when I was eight years old. It was a school concert and after that I realised it was my absolute passion. Since then it's what I've loved doing.


How old were you when you wrote your first song and what was it about?

I started writing songs when I was probably around eight or nine but I was quite shy to share them with people at the time, so I often did it just for fun. Recently I've started writing my own music which has been great but Flawless was actually written for me by music producers from Belgium. As soon as I heard the song I knew I could change it up to make it suit my voice and style, so that's what I did.


When you say that you changed the original Belgium produced version of Flawless to suite your style, what did you change to make it better for you and were these changes inspired by something in your life?

Well the song itself was so amazing when I first heard it so the only changes I made were to make it a little more personal. I did this just by adding in a a few extra high notes and played around with the different vocal techniques during the recording session. The changes weren't inspired by anything but I just made it match my regular style of singing so that I felt happy and confident with it.


Who would you say is your singing inspiration, your idol?


When it comes to songs that I like to sing I usually lean towards older styles of singers such as Etta James or Aretha franklin. I've always loved that style of music and I find that it suits my voice really well. Two artists that I really look up to for their talent and success would probably be Ed Sheeran and Beyoncé. However, I don't really have an idol or role model, I like to think of myself as my own roll model, and continue to improve myself and work hard.


How would you describe your musical image?

My musical image changes depending on where I'm performing. I have a huge variety of music styles and songs that I perform so it can pretty much suit any occasion. For my personal preference I love to perform ballad style songs and also quite poppy upbeat songs such as 'Flawless'. I'd probably describe my music image as fresh yet sophisticated.


Where do you see the future of your musical journey heading? Do you have any more projects on the go?

I'd love to pursue music as a career and be able to inspire others through my songs. I'm also really passionate about acting- and I was recently accepted to the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in Los Angeles which is an amazing performing arts school. So I'll be moving to LA soon to pursue my career with acting and singing. I was also recently signed by GME Universal Records which is extremely exciting; they've been working on some new music for me too!


Malka currently has a YouTube channel where you can find her music video for her debut single Flawless as well as other entertaining videos. Flawless is also available to purchase and stream on iTunes and on Spotify.


Comments