Books for the Summer: The Power by Naomi Alderman

The first of a series of summer reading recommendations. Miranda Worley reviews 'The Power' by Naomi Alderman.


What happens when women have more power than men? I enjoyed this book, and found the first few pages very easy to get into, before I knew it I was 10% into my Kindle version.  I found the structure of the whole book into short chapters, with names of the main characters and with occasional illustrations of archaeological "finds", really easy to follow, this would make a good holiday read, as you can pick it up and read small parts without losing the plot.  My favourite parts were tracing the relationship between the two American TV anchors, as global society changed around them.  A nice contrast of light with dark.


However, this is also a tough read at times, quite dismal and there is an increasing level of violence and graphic descriptions, but on the whole it was thought provoking, turning the relationship between men and women on its head, and tracing the repercussions for all of us.


Comments