20 Years of Harry Potter Part II: More PGS Staff Reveal their Favourite (and Least Favourite) Characters

To mark the 20th anniversary of the publication of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, we asked for Potterfans among PGS staff to share their views on the series. Here, we hear from Mrs Linley, Mr Doyle and Faith Fairman.



Mrs Linley

Which spell would you most like to be able to do and why? Accio! I’m always, err, misplacing things so being able to summon them to come to me would be useful!

What form would your Patronus take? A dog.

Which House would the Sorting Hat have put you in and why? Probably Hufflepuff – patience and loyalty!

Which book is your favourite/least favourite and why? Favourite is Order of the Phoenix, it brings the return of Voldermort to a climax once everyone sees him in the Ministry of Magic.
It’s difficult to choose a “least favourite” having enjoyed them all, what I will criticise though is the decision to split the final book in to two films – clearly only done for commercial purposes and the first of those films was pretty dull! 

Which characters do you particularly like or dislike? I never really warmed to Slughorn.

Which of the Horcruxes do you find the most memorable? The Horcrux they find in the cave where Dumbledore has to drink from the font and it makes him ill?  The locket?  Completely creepy in book and film.

Do you have a favourite line from the series? Hermione’s explanation to why Cho cried when she kissed Harry and Ron’s subsequent response.

Which staff at Hogwarts do you think are particularly good teachers and why? Professor McGonnagall – firm but fair!

Would you have sought a career as an Auror, a Dragon Keeper, a Gringotts Banker or a Ministry of Magic worker? Ministry of Magic worker – quite fancy a position in the Department of International Magical Cooperation, lots of travel!

What position do you think you would have played at Quidditch? My hand eye co-ordination is dreadful, nobody would want me on the team so I’d be much better preparing banners and cheering teams on!

Which item from Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes would you most like to own? A Pygmy Puff (thank you Google for the research provided for this answer!)


Mr Doyle

Which spell would you most like to be able to do and why? Expelliarmus - great when fidgeting pupils do not leave their pens alone. 

What form would your Patronus take? Dame Shirley Bassey in full gown.

Which House would the Sorting Hat have put you in and why? Hufflepuff – barely mentioned and needs a higher profile – some FAB-U-LOUS.

Which book is your favourite and why? I think the Philosopher’s Stone – it was something very different and the promise of more to come was thrilling.

Which characters do you particularly like? Professor McGonagall – the Perfect Housemistress: caring, kind, but ruthless when someone messed with one of her House!!

Which of the Horcruxes do you find the most memorable? Nagini – having that snake to protect you would be wonderful

Do you have a favourite line from the series? "I wonder," said Professor McGonagall in cold fury, turning on Professor Umbridge, "how you expect to gain an idea of my usual teaching methods if you continue to interrupt me? You see, I do not generally permit people to talk when I am talking." – we all know a colleague we could say this to ….

Which staff at Hogwarts do you think are particularly good teachers and why? McGonagall – strict, yet fair; clear, yet inspiring

Would you have sought a career as an Auror, a Dragon Keeper, a Gringotts Banker or a Ministry of Magic worker? Ministry of Magic

What position do you think you would have played at Quidditch? The coach !

Which item from Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes would you most like to own? Extendable Ears!

Faith Fairman (aged 8)


Which spell would you most like to be able to do and why?Leviosa - lift wand charm - people wouldn't be able to attack me.

What form would your Patronus take? Dragonfly because it is a flying worm and I am a book worm. Also I am a wise old owl and an owl can fly

Which House would the Sorting Hat have put you in and why?Ravenclaw because I did a quiz on mum's phone and I am very trustworthy 

Which book is your favourite and why? My favourite is the philosophers stone because it's the beginning of all Harry Potter and I like the live chess. My least favourite is nothing. All of them are EPIC!

Which characters do you particularly like? I like Hermione, Luna, Harry and Ron so practically all of Dumbledore's Army. I least like Crabbe and Goyle because they are dumb

Which of the Horcruxes do you find the most memorable? Tom Riddle's diary because it was the first horcrux

Do you have a favourite line from the series? My favourite line is "It's lev - ee - o - sa not lev - ee - o - ser" Hermione Granger

Which staff at Hogwarts do you think are particularly good teachers and why?I think Professor Trelawney because she so mysterious and I like that. Just like Dumbledore.

Would you have sought a career as an Auror, a Dragon Keeper, a Gringotts Banker or a Ministry of Magic worker? I would like to be a Gringotts banker because I am good at stealth to sneak past the dragon and can shout REALLY loud if something gets stolen.

What position do you think you would have played at Quidditch? I would play seeker because I have a good grip and I am very quick for the snitch


Which item from Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes would you most like to own? I would most like the crazy fireworks, explosive enterprises.


Comments